AppDynamics Server Monitoring Review

Easy to use, good support, and provides valuable insights and metrics

What is our primary use case?

We use AppDynmaics Server Monitoring to monitor and gain insight into what is happening in our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives us quite good insights that we might otherwise overlook, or it might take a really long time to debug those issues. In our environment, we don't have visibility across multiple systems. They are all independently managed by different teams and it takes a very long time to contact each team, then get details about each different layer of the architecture. With AppDynamics, we have application transaction monitoring and database monitoring, which are quite good features.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is quite good and it is easy to navigate.

The insights and metrics that the system provides are very useful.

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to choose from some pre-defined dashboards and reports because as it is now, you have to define them separately for each implementation.

The configuration of user monitoring is a bit complex and should be made easier.

In our virtualized environment, we have visibility only up to the database. It would be helpful if we had more visibility beyond this point.

We have been using this product for almost six months.

This solution is quite stable.

In terms of scalability, it is quite easy to expand.

We have more than 150 servers that we are monitoring right now. There are three teams including development, operations, and implementation, and between them, we have more than 100 people using it.

The technical support is quite good.

This is the first enterprise-level tool that we have implemented for this purpose. Prior to AppDynamics, different departments and different teams were using other products for monitoring.

The initial set up is quite easy. It requires the deployment of a monitoring agent and it can be done in a couple of minutes.

My understanding is that the price of this solution is quite high, compared to other products. As such, pricing may be a concern for smaller organizations.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and one that I definitely recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Zabbix, ITRS and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.