Appian Review
Fast to build simple to medium complexity solutions

What is our primary use case?

Process Automation and Forms Digitisation, implementation of organisational wide processes rather than use of COTS.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian was not selected by any of the organisations I've worked with to date for production use.

What is most valuable?

Form building capabilities and well thought out process modelling are key points to this product.

What needs improvement?

Support for complex models really needs significant improvement

Flexibility in the architecture is not there

Management or reusable assets is extremely limited and poorly designed

Business rules are not aligned to industry best practices

Authoring tool slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built

Integration to project SDLC (such as testing methods, build systems etc needs work)

Trial/evaluations only.

This product is targeted to mid size companies and not highly scalable complex processes.

Average, although a small responsive team Appian has been fast growing stretching their ability to service customer needs.

Reasonable, stronger than say IBM or Oracle technical support but it is still critical to engage in a full POC activity with this product to ensure it fits your needs before proceeding with an implementation. The closed nature of the platform means there is limited to no help outside of that technical support team which is already stretched based on the ever increasing customer base.

What other advice do I have?

Compare this product closely to open source options, IBM and Pega. For simple solutions using simple models Appian may be sufficient and would provide better ROI than investing in building a team to support a more complex tool but for complex models I'd look for a stronger tool-set.

3 visitors found this review helpful

1 Comment

it_user427839Vendor

I am sure this comparison between Appian and Pega is going to be extremely beneficial for me to do evaluation.

19 April 16