Appium Review

Open-source, scalable, easy to use, and easy to install with good community documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use Appium and Appium Studio as our base for any type of mobile automation.

We are using Appium on-premises for scripting purposes.

Our automation testers download Appium for their scripting.

How has it helped my organization?

Mobile app based test automation and Mobile handset experience based telecom scenarios has been automated using appium. This has helped to increase testing efficiency

What is most valuable?

The interface for mobile automation is helpful for scripting and execution. It's scalable and there are many testers who would like to automate. In terms of scripting, scalability is very good.

It's an open-source solution with a very large community and available documentation.

Appium Inspector helps in identifying the elements very easily.

The ease of converting is good because it's an open-source solution. The programming language is Java, which is easy to consolidate. It also supports Python.

It is very easy to work with, distribute, and consolidate on a rapid basis.

What needs improvement?

Stability is an area that needs some improvement. During execution, the Appium Studio experiences some intermittent disconnection.

There are some paid solutions available on the market that have AI included with self healing, which means with changes in application script would detect automatically. The software is smart enough to show you unexpected changes. It can show you the options to change certain element locator which has changed with recent build.

Maybe this additional feature can be added as a paid feature in future.

I have been using Appium for more than one year.

There at times during the execution where there are a high number of test scripts that are being initiated, and during that time the Appian Studio gets disconnected. We then have to restart to continue the flow.

Appian is a scalable solution that is being used almost every day, extensively.

We have approximately 30 people developing, executing, and using Appian. They are made up of automation engineers and DevOps-related who are developing and executing, and we have our team for test executing.

The community is very helpful. If you run into an issue, you can easily resolve it with the community documentation, where similar issues are being discussed.

It's easy to install Appium.

When we work with Android and iOS, it is common to have to install other products such as APK as a pre-requisite for mobile app.

We have an automation team to complete the installation and implementation of Appian. We did not use a vendor team.

ROI is good due to ease of scalability.

Appium is open-source, which is not licensed.

We had evaluated two other solutions. For certain tools scripting was easy in Android, but for iOS, there are additional requirements such as instrumentation. This would set us back. We want to use something that is consistent throughout the various OS. They are also paid software, with additional features that are an extra fee. It wouldn't justify the ROI.

Most of the testing that we do requires testing in both Android and iOS.

We chose Appium for the scalability and the ease of automation for both Android and iOS. Appium is a good choice, it's standard. We can use most of the scripts.

What other advice do I have?

Appium, Appium Studio, and Appium Inspector are from the same product family.

Appium is the biggest user base that we have today in terms of open-source. It's not difficult to find a solution when we talk about the maintenance of the scripts.

If you are looking for fast scripting and self-healing features, there are other solutions available that you have to pay for.

I would definitely recommend it in cases where you are using integration automation, you have a relaxed timeline, and stability is the main factor.

I would rate Appium an eight out of ten.