Arbor DDoS Review
It provides predefined filters/techniques to easily stop attacks. The auto-mitigation feature starts with the default filters, which could impact a customer’s link.

What is most valuable?

• It is user-friendly and has a very easy GUI.

• It provides the simplest method of mitigation.

• It provides predefined filters/techniques to easily stop attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

My last project was with (almost all of) the biggest banks and MNCs in India. It helped us to protect their network from the present DDoS attacks.

What needs improvement?

The auto-mitigation feature is provided when DDoS is observed on any of the links/customers (configured under auto-mitigation). It automatically starts mitigation with the default filters. In the default filter mode, there could be an impact on a customer’s link.

For example, if we have enabled monitoring of the internal traffic for that link/customer, it starts mitigation on legitimate traffic. It can also create looping in the network for any misconfiguration. This can impact the ISP's internal network and the customer's link utilization.

I have used this solution for two years.

We did not have stability issues.

We did not have scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support a 7/10.

We were using black-hole mitigation. We switched from that technique because we were dropping all the traffic of the attacked link, rather than vulnerable traffic; there were many more loopholes.

The setup is a little complex regarding the methods of configuration with the customers, as we need to provide them with a clean pipe path during mitigation. Also, it is mostly used on ISPs so the configuration on gateways is a little hectic.

They offer good prices.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Be in direct contact with Arbor, rather than choosing a vendor in between.