Arbor DDoS Review

Protects both our company's and customers' infrastructures, but pricing is expensive

What is our primary use case?

We are using Arbor as a DDoS protection infrastructure. It protects our both our company's infrastructure and also our customers' infrastructure. We are not using it to protect one website, we are protecting a lot of websites and a lot of customers' infrastructures including their websites, their web services, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It protects our infrastructure. We are in a particular geography so we face a lot of cyber attacks, especially DDoS attacks. It's very beneficial for our infrastructure. It's a vital component for every provider network.

What is most valuable?

We are using it mainly for DDoS protection. Reporting functions provide good visibility. Also, API's helps us to improve our service. We are also using it by serving cloud signaling service to our customers for their on-premise APS devices.

What needs improvement?

Learning period for managed objects are too short; better to have auto-profiling based on learning.

As long as you don't touch it, it's very stable. But if you try to configure new features or some new deployment, sometimes that can be a problem. A few weeks ago we had an appliance that went down.

It's very scalable. It has a central management platform that manages all appliances, so if you have a few sites, you can scale it to other sites with new devices and you can manage them from the central management platform.

Arbor has an engineer in our country and we try to solve our cases or our problems or our new feature configurations with him. Also we are able to do that by contacting tech directly. The guys in our country help us contact the tech team. They also have another contact in the tech team so they can speed up the resolution of our cases by communicating with him.

When issues arise, they're helpful, they're knowledgeable and responsive.

The last ticket we submitted was when one of our appliances went down while we were configuring it one night. They solved it within four or five hours after we opened the case. They sent the solution within that time. The appliance went back up and has continued to work properly.

The setup is very straightforward, not too complex. Their tech team is very helpful.

As far as I know, they are very successful in DDoS protection. Because they know it, their service prices are too high. They provide cloud DDoS protection for ISPs, but that is also too expensive.

We are evaluating other options. We may apply one if we find an appropriate solution. As I mentioned before, Arbor DDoS prices are too high, it's very expensive. It would be better to have more than one vendor in our infrastructure, because there is no competition when you have one vendor or one solution.

What other advice do I have?

Arbor is very good at what it does. If you have enough budget you can apply it to your infrastructure and use its flexibility and reporting features very well. But if you don't have the budget and you don't expand the budget for the coming next years, I suggest not getting in touch with Arbor.

Five or six engineers can log in to devices, but in our company two people are managing infrastructure. There are always ways to optimize it, but we have been working for two years to optimize it and it's in a good situation compared to two years ago.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. My rating is based on the general problems that we had and the solutions for them, as well as the daily stability of these devices.

We are using nearly all the features of Arbor. Currently, they are enough for us, but in the future, if there are different kinds of DDoS attacks I believe that Arbor DDoS will also take action against them.

Under Attack?