Arbor DDoS Review

Has a global ranking in reliability and credibility. They are very unique and can respond to a very wide scope of threats from their global deployment.

What is our primary use case?

I was working in the ISP environment and the Arbor DDoS solution is integrated in there.

How has it helped my organization?

We have certain gaming server data centers having some big or small LAN protectors. All protectors have been added to Arbor for mitigation and protection and the IPs with frequent attacks are separately added for more focus monitoring. Usually when gaming users go online they experience this type of high volume attack. We pick those IPs and separately define an Arbor for mitigation and the whether those are positive.

What is most valuable?

Specifically in the ISP infrastructure where I was working, Arbor DDoS is integrated to detect the threats and mitigation. Basically, the peak flow TMS solution and peak flow SP solution has been procured by my company. We are providing services to customers and protecting our own infrastructure as well.

When you work in an ISP or enterprise environment, the main priority is to protect your services or your customers services, like bandwidth. There must be no high volume breach towards any customer, such as a DDoS attack or application level attack. The purpose of procuring a peak flow TMS solution is to mitigate the high volume attacks towards our customers and to protect our internal infrastructure as well. This is our priority in this aspect.

What needs improvement?

I think the diversity of protection is extremely limited. It must be expanded in future upgrades and versions. Plus, hardware stability is a big issue with Arbor. We have frequent outages with the hardware.

Arbor is good for expansions or forecasts, and helps us as well. Their pre-sales team is very dedicated and focused and they just nominate the POC, who then provides the capability, descriptions and presentations to us.

They are helpful. Their response time is good.

No, we were just manually blackholing at level three, an upper level. We were not using any specific DDoS solutions like Arbor.

Initial setup is a bit complex because it is a Linux based working environment for configuration. A bit of expertise is required to configure the setup. It requires an expert level assistance from Arbor to complete the configuration or to apply any new system.

Deployment took around 3-4 months because we had two sites nationwide on which peak flow was deployed.

Yes. They were just handling the physical connectivity, the mounting, placement and insertion of the cords. By law, integration is pushed by the Arbor expert.

Licensing is good and they are very helpful to us. Without licensing you cannot get the complete features of the product, as well as the complete level of support, so licensing is obviously a good option.

Actually there is a different planning team which takes care of the projects, so I don't know if they were considering any other vendor or not, but right now Arbor is the first choice and we are working with it.

Arbor has a global ranking in reliability and credibility. They are very unique and can respond to a very wide scope of threats from their global deployment. So, Arbor is very helpful to have inside of the most recent attacks and their backgrounds.

What other advice do I have?

Arbor has a global ranking and global recognition. Whenever you do a search on Google, you can find Arbor on the top three or top five DDoS protection vendors. Obviously, Arbor is very reliable.

Under Attack?