ARCON Privileged Access Management Review

Gives us excellent compliance features, including reports and server-change records

What is our primary use case?

We use it to access all the servers.

How has it helped my organization?

From the administrative point of view, there are cases that I have automated. I used to have to log in to all the servers. Now, it's really simple to work.

For compliance, each change I do, in each of the servers, is clearly recorded. We recently faced an audit and this was an awesome feature. Even our auditor had praise for it saying, "This is really a good feature."

What is most valuable?

In terms of automation, there are a number of cases, ARCON-related, where we are automating. It could be user-creation or services-creation inside ARCON. There are wonderful features which have really helped me a lot to automate things.

Also, a helpful feature from the compliance perspective is the reporting. Suppose there is one server and I want to know what are all the types of access to it. Suppose there are some 10 users who are using that server. I can easily fetch a report showing, for example, that there are two users who have server admin access; there are three users who have read-only access; there are five users who have prompt-access.

The connectivity of the user interface is really awesome. It is segregated properly. I don't know exactly how ARCON looks out of the box but ours has a little bit of customization. The user interface, overall, is really good. If I have some 20 servers in my ID, I can easily see for which servers I have read-only access, for which servers I have prompt-access, and for which servers I have server admin access.

What needs improvement?

There are no APIs readily available. There are hundreds of products available on the market. It could be many applications, not just the server gateway. For many applications, by default, we will get the API. Let's say I'm trying to integrate "XYZ" application with another application. When we do that, usually, we look for APIs. But ARCON does not have the APIs readily available. Having that, for a complete end-to-end solution, would really help.

As I mentioned, I'm working on automation for ARCON so that whatever the ARCON administrator is doing will be automated, rather than having to do it manually. For that, I had to spend months to get the API developed myself. Having that handy out of the box, that would really help, because what I am doing is not limited or restricted to the three or four cases. I'm going to automate the complete end-to-end solution of ARCON administration in our organization. So having an API would really help me.

Three to five years.

Performance-wise, we recently upgraded. Since that upgrade, the performance has been really good. Now, I truly don't see any issues. So far so good.

There were some small glitches earlier but they have been sorted out now. There was a little bit of slowness where, when I was trying to log in to a server it used to keep saying, "loading, loading," but that has been resolved. There was another issue where I would log in to a server, but the moment I logged in, I would get disconnected. That has also been resolved. There was one more issue where, when I tried to log in to a server and key in the credentials, the credentials were not entered into ARCON. And then, due to the multiple attempts, the ID would become blocked. But that has also been sorted.

The product team, the support team is readily available, 24/7. We have direct contact. If there are any issues, I get direct support. I don't see any issue there. Overall, the tech support is very good. They are very supportive, and we are getting immediate support.

I don't recall the name of the product, but we switched because of a lot of performance issues. With that product, we used to get a lot of customer complaints as well as user complaints saying that they would be in the middle of some production activity and the performance would be very slow, causing the production activity to be delayed.

I cannot comment on the initial setup because it was done by our system admin team along with support from the ARCON team.

We recently upgraded. There were no issues during that implementation. Our own support team was readily available, on-site, to implement it.

Although I'm not involved with this side of it, I assume pricing would have been reasonable, that is why we went for it. I would say definitely say it gives value for the money.

What other advice do I have?

It has really helped us a lot. It's a wonderful platform.