ARCON Privileged Access Management Review

Our administrators are more conscientious due to the recording feature

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is to control Microsoft administrators.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our government compliance score in terms of audits. Auditors used to ask this basic question: Who has done what? We never had an answer because everyone was logging in using a common ID.

The second improvement is the discipline that has developed in the administrators. They definitely want to do things in the right manner and nobody wants to do anything wrong because the recording is going on and everybody knows that they are being watched.

What is most valuable?

One important feature is the administrator access, mainly for Windows machines as well as Linux machines. It is important for us because there is accountability associated with each user ID.

And the recordings are also helpful.

What needs improvement?

There are a few improvements that could be made. One is that it should be browser-agnostic and, frankly, it is working well on Internet Explorer. It should work on popular browsers like Mozilla and Firefox.

Also, I would like to see a "wild card" kind of a feature or something that would enable us to search the video.

Finally, it would be helpful to have a "Favorites" list. For example, if I have 100 servers but I only go to 10 servers frequently, a Favorites list would allow me to go through those 10 servers only.

The product is very stable. We have not faced any issues in terms of stability.

The scalability depends on the internal hardware. The software can handle a number of users and a number of servers. We started with about 100 servers. Now, we are around 900 servers. We have not found any issue in terms of scalability.

We can call them, submit a ticket, they can remote in. I haven't seen any issue with the technical support.

This was the first solution we started using.

The setup is quite simple. The only thing that is complex about the implementation is in terms of culture. Regarding the software setup, there's no problem. It's purely a standard software installation. Nothing outstanding about it.

In terms of quantity, I have not measured the ROI. But in terms of quality, I would put it more in terms of the man-hours my people wasted in complying with whatever requirements there were. With this solution, we have been able to do away with all those man-hours and do things in a very straightforward way. We look at ROI more in terms of the usability and how it makes our life simpler.

I definitely feel the product's pricing is a good value. It is one of the best products we have.

The licensing is server-based.

We had choices other than Arcon and we shortlisted a few products. We had selected a Dell solution, Arcon, and one other product. Then we went to a tendering process to learn about pricing. Ultimately whoever would quote the best price would get the order.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise, during the implementation itself, in the beginning, to start with the 20 servers only. Then test it thoroughly, not as a product but, rather, the implementation methodology. What happened with us, during implementation, was that some users caused some problems. Actually, they weren't problems, rather they were more a user culture change, and how integration would happen with the SIM.

I would rate this solution at eight out of 10. It's a good product to have but it's not a 10 because most of the features don't get implemented. It would be helpful if they could arrange it so that the customer can implement features. They should conduct meetings and tell the users, as a group, about the features that should be implemented. Also, the customer's information should be available immediately to the support team so that support can be deployed immediately.