ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager (ESM) Review

A fast, stable, and scalable solution with good reporting and log analysis functionalities

What is our primary use case?

We have outsourced our SOX management to an IT company because I cannot maintain and manage that in the bank. We had selected them because they were using ArcSight. They are a very professional security company. They came up with this suggestion of switching from ArcSight to LogRhythm. We are currently using ArcSight, but we would be switching to LogRhythm.

They are using the latest version of ArcSight ESM. It is all on-prem. Our production setup cannot be on a public cloud. In India, cloud deployment is not allowed for financial services. It has to be either a co-location or in-house.

What is most valuable?

The reports that we are from getting from ArcSight are very valuable. The reporting in ArcSight is good. Our regulators ask us for the reports on a regular basis, and we have been able to provide the required data.

Its overall functionality in terms of log analysis and the speed at which it does that is also valuable. It is very quick. Whatever alerts we had configured were extremely fast. We immediately get alerts when there is unauthorized access or unknown access, or even positive access. This is where we found the difference between ArcSight and other solutions.

What needs improvement?

When I asked our networking juniors for a comparison between LogRhythm and ArcSight, they said that both platforms are almost the same. It is just that LogRhythm is more modern with a digital platform, which probably gives it some advantage over ArcSight. ArcSight is a very old and mature product that is running on an old platform. It is an old legacy platform.

In terms of new features, it just requires platform upgrades so that it becomes lighter and easily adaptable, specifically in the cloud. It would be a good thing if they can also make reporting easier.

We have been using this solution for one year.

It is pretty stable.

It is pretty scalable.

I have not been in touch with ArcSight for technical support. I only talked to my vendor, who monitored my network. My vendor got in touch with ArcSight support.

The setup ran into a couple of months because the configuration of the endpoint devices to collect the logs was really tedious. It took some time to bring the environment into a condition to get it monitored by ArcSight.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. I would rate ArcSight ESM an eight out of ten.

More ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager (ESM) reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk
Learn what your peers think about ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager (ESM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.