ArcSight Review
The correlation capabilities are valuable. It is too restrictive to suit the flexibility needs of the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Correlation capabilities: This product provides an advanced level of correlations, which is highly valued.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE ArcSight has helped us gain visibility of the solutions across the organization. We have been constantly identifying anomalous activities both internally as well as externally. These include malware proliferation, data loss, proxy bypass attempts, phishing and spear-phishing, port scans, etc

What needs improvement?

It can be more user-friendly. The product is too restrictive to suit the flexibility needs of the infrastructure. It is sometimes hard to implement the solution as recommended by HPE.

I have used this solution for around four and a half years. Currently, we are using HPE ArcSight Express 5, ESM 6.8, Connector Appliances and SmartConnectors 7.4.

In version 5, I used to experience some issues as it was using Oracle DB. Although, I do not have any problems in version 6+.

This product is not easily scalable. We particularly required skilled personnel to do this activity and it also took a significant amount of time.

The technical support is poor.

We were not using any other solution before. We started using HPE ArcSight straightaway.

Setting up of the ArcSight solution is always complex compared to other solutions out there. There are a lot of parameters and dependencies involved. Adding infrastructure complexity will add more complications. Distributed deployment is also difficult to implement.

It is very expensive for larger deployments.

We are now working with open-source systems and Splunk solutions. We are decommissioning HPE ArcSight as it is getting impractical to manage and maintain the solution.

What other advice do I have?

There are better products in the market for medium to large-scale deployments. It is recommend to use this product for small-scale deployments, i.e., 200-800 EPS.