ARIS BPA Review

Good web-based portal that supports simple modeling, but the technical support has room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and ARIS BPM is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in the latest versions is the connect portal, where you can do modeling in a very simple manner using the web-based portal.

What needs improvement?

If you look at the administration function, it is rather complex.

If you want to create new reports then you have to use JavaScript, or ARIS script as they call it, which is beyond the competencies of most people.

I would recommend to Software AG that they move to SaaS as soon as possible. Currently, they have a cloud offering, but they don't really have a SaaS business model in place. They are still thinking in terms of licenses and my recommendation to them would be to stop doing this and move to SaaS ASAP because all of the other competitors are moving in that direction. As a SaaS, they might reconsider the positioning of the ARIS portfolio in the markets and to have, for example, specific pricing or specific environments for mid-size companies, instead of just a single implementation for enterprises.

I have been working with ARIS BPM for between 16 and 20 years.

In terms of stability, it depends because there are several possibilities for how it is hosted. If it is on-premises then I can't say anything in terms of stability. However, the Amazon cloud is quite stable. We offer our own cloud environment and over the past four years, it has proven to be really stable.

Overall, if you look at the environment, it's quite stable, and if you look at the product, it's also very much improved in the last years.

My clients for this product are enterprise-level companies.

There is room for improvement, especially in the communication area. If you have Software AG as technical support in a partner environment, there is obvious room for improvement here.

I have worked with a lot of similar products including BiZZdesign, Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, and Bizagti. We are also currently doing a lot with GBTEC BIC.

At this time, I would recommend the BIC product from GBTEC the most because it comes down more or less to a newly developed ARIS environment, but in better shape. The core code of the product is new, and you might say, in general, that this is a better product. Also, if you look at the functionalities that they are building, it is less complex. It's more of a SaaS product and it's much easier to use.

This product is rather complex to set up.

Currently, ARIS is just targeting enterprises of, for example, one-billion-plus companies. For these organizations, the price is fine. This is absolutely not the cheapest solution in the market, but for large companies, the price is fine.

If one were targeting companies of perhaps a hundred million and a billion, then the price might be a bit on the high side. For companies below a hundred million, then it's too expensive I would say.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing ARIS BPM is to have a good organization in place first. You really need to have ownership because if you implement ARIS and start using it there you have quite a few admin functions that you need to have in place. For example, looking at conventions, filtering, reports, account management, etc. There's a lot of work to be done and ownership in this regard is very important.

In summary, this is a good product but there is room for improvement in several areas.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More ARIS BPA reviews from users
...who compared it with Bizagi
Learn what your peers think about ARIS BPA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.