Arista Networks Platform Review

Easy installation with excellent stability and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for colocation services, as an extension for various platforms, and also mainly for new setups of data centers. They've played a role in top-of-the-rack features and also for data center extensions like VXLAN.

We have users that use Arista for their financial software testing due to their low latencies.

What is most valuable?

The initial installation is very straightforward.

A company can scale the solution if it needs to.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve their product range. They've added a few items, however, they're a bit of a johnny-come-lately to a lot of other competitors in the space and they need to compete for more for the attention of various sizes of business. They basically need to include more models in their offering.

The one thing they lack is Microsegmentation solutions. In contrast, Cisco offers that. It has something called ACI, and we lose out on contracts due to the fact that Arista doesn't have a similar offering. Clients would like to have that on hand as when clients deal with the Cloud base, Microsoft segmentation can be managed with, in a sense, Analytics.

I've been dealing with the solution since 2017. It's been a few years now.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any stability issues with it for the most part. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

Technical support has been very good. They're quite helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support we get. For solutions like Nutanix and Arista, I'm never disappointed with the service we get.

The initial setup is mostly straightforward. It just really depends on the scope. There are different discussions that need to precede the installation of it, so that might take a week or two. You still talk to the customer, you make a design, you get the approval, and all of that. However, once you have all of that, if you take that implementation, you're looking at probably, one day to one-and-a-half days just to configure everything. The configuration is very important. Once you have the configuration, putting it in with the switches take a minimum amount of time.

You likely need two to three people to handle the implementation.

Arista is largely a cloud player catering to the Googles, the Facebooks and all the big players. Price-wise we have a disadvantage pitching Arista, especially against somebody like Cisco who has been in the sector for a long time. We are often fighting Cisco from the pricing perspective with their larger productions and licenses.

In terms of licensing, there are costs related to both licensing and support. We pay for licensing yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We are a distributor of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor
More Arista Networks Platform reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Arista Networks Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.