Aruba ClearPass Review
Its clustering model saved us staff time and reduced errors by eliminating the need to manage individual RADIUS servers

What is our primary use case?

We used ClearPass for wireless 802.1x Authentication in a large campus deployment (more than 10,000 access points).

We are also going to use it for our guest WiFi access solution. I would like to promote its use for wired network authentication as well.

How has it helped my organization?

• It eliminated the management of 10 different individual discrete RADIUS servers.
  • We are able to satisfy many different organizational needs because of its flexibility.

What is most valuable?

The ClearPass clustering model saved us staff time and reduced errors by eliminating the need to manage individual RADIUS servers. The mulit-vendor capability is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

The product's graphical user interface (GUI) could use an update and better integration between the guest management and policy management interfaces.

I'd also like to make sure there is support for Juniper switches.

Three to five years.

It has been pretty stable, except sometimes when we go to upgrade to a different version - it hasn't been user-impacting - but we've had some issues.

We were using a different vendor's wireless infrastructure, and we switched to the Aruba platform - and ClearPass, that was part the package.

The most important criterion when selecting the vendor in this particular case was integration with a wireless infrastructure product because it was the same vendor.

There were two in total, Cisco and Aruba. We chose Aruba because their technical support was more responsive and knowledgeable than we had with Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof of concept. Actually get your hands on the product and don't just look at the brochure, the glossy about the product.

I rate it a nine out of 10 because it's done everything that we've been able to ask it to do.