Aruba Instant On Access Points Review

Is easy to manage, has a very nice interface, and looks nicer on the ceiling

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to give users access to WiFi in the office.

What is most valuable?

Aruba Instant on Access Points is easy to manage, has a very nice interface, and looks nicer on the ceiling.

The coverage Aruba provides across the physical area is much better. Most probably because of the new technology, the 4x4 antenna, and everything around it. It's just a much better, easier to use, and easier to manage product.

The cloud-based solution is very easy to set up and easy to manage. You get reporting on it, alerts, and everything.

There is no need to have any physical buttons on the devices, when it's done through the cloud interface, everything is perfect. The full functionality of doing changes on it automatically gets applied to the access points.

It's just a perfectly working product.

What needs improvement?

If there's a way to get a floor map of our office space so we can place the access points on a map to be able to see what's what, where everything is going, where the most traffic is being connected, that would be a nice feature. We had it on Ruckus Access Points. But it's not a must, based on the trade-off of price versus functionality, there's nothing that I would expect to be better than what it is.

We have been using Aruba for a month or so.

I didn't run a stress test because we don't have that many users, but it definitely works perfectly for the amount of users we have. We have up to 20 to 25 users at a time, we never had more than 25 users. Everything looks very good.

Everything works perfectly as expected, with no drop in usage or connectivity. By 20 users you don't see a difference.

We're going to have a big conference. We're going to have probably 100 users using it. This will be the first time we're going to have that many users. And I will have more input on the reliability when it comes to a lot of users.

It's always on. Everything is perfect.

We only have four access points. I don't see a reason why doing more should make a difference.

We went away from the FortiAP to Aruba Instant On and it's much smoother in transitioning, going from one access point to another and the speed on it is much better.

We moved to a new location, so instead of taking Fortinet along, we decided to buy new access points, to try out the new equipment and the new technology. It has better beamforming for the WiFi signal. And it's just a better product.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward for these devices. You just put in the serial number online and power on the device. It finds it and everything is instantly on.

It's very easy to manage. There's almost no manageability to it.

You need much less IT experience or knowledge to set up and manage this solution than I have. I have a lot of experience and a lot of knowledge. You could give it to a new graduate IT person or even no IT knowledge, once it's set up, everything is extremely easy to manage. Maybe to set it up you need a little bit of knowledge, but that's it.

The deployment took ten minutes.

It's not expensive and it comes with everything included. There's no need to buy extra stuff on both, like hardware and software support.

It's very well priced. I can't see that anyone could be cheaper or better.

It is important to us that there are no extra costs for the solution's security features.

You buy the product with all the features. Security-wise and manageability, you don't have any extra costs out of pocket. You pay below $200 for an access point. It's a very good price and everything's included, there's nothing extra.

I reached out to our vendor to ask about the cheapest and best solution. If I would need to go with a new WiFi solution, something that wouldn't require us to have an extended payment plan in order to use it. Meraki and other places use cloud management where you need to pay an annual fee in order to use it. They recommended Aruba and I decided to go ahead.

What other advice do I have?

It seems like Aruba is the best product out there at this point for a small business.

Based on my experience, this should be the easiest to use with the least overhead in order to run it because you don't need to have the Cloud Management included. There is no extra equipment onsite or services to run onsite in order to manage it. There are no extra costs to continue using the cloud for how long you want, based on what Aruba is claiming.

At this point in time, I see this for small to medium businesses that don't have in-house IT or a lot of extensive knowledge IT people on-premise. This should be the easiest and most cost-effective WiFi solution to deploy.

I would rate it a ten out of ten. The only reason I would have gone down to nine is because of the phone support. I didn't have a chance to check that the phone support is only for the first 90 days. And the hardware warranty is only for a year. I didn't know that they only have 90 days.

It seems like a solid product. I don't see a real reason why I will need even support but if I could extend the hardware warranty on it for a longer period of time because I didn't use it that long, I don't know maybe in three years from now it will fail, I want to be able to get that replacement if needed.

AP15
Find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Cisco, Netgear and others in Wireless LAN. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.