Aruba Instant Review
Provides a built-in firewall, local radius, and application visibility and control

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is to provide WLAN access for our managed clients networks; from 10-user offices, to wireless networks supporting 500 or more wireless clients with up to 30 wireless APs on a single layer 2 network.

How has it helped my organization?

Wireless access is very reliable; once I install, it is solid and works very well.

What is most valuable?

Very simple setup, easy to use, rock-solid dependability.

Has many advanced features:

• Built-in firewall
  • Local radius
  • Application visibility and control
  • Not locked into support agreements

Several deployment options:

• Instant
  • Central cloud managed
  • Controller managed.

What needs improvement?

Although built-in troubleshooting tools are available, they are not at all intuitive to use. Aruba Instant lacks decent documentation to use for troubleshooting wireless issues (fortunately there aren’t many).

The Central cloud management (optional) is far behind the competition in features, ease of use, and dependability. I have tried Aruba Central a few times over the years and, in my option, it is not where it needs to be for serious consideration in production environments.

More than five years.

Very stable.

No issues. I had 30 WAPs on one layer 2 subnet and it worked flawlessly.

Seven out of 10.

Very simple to set up as Aruba Instant. Not so intuitive or stable with Central cloud (should you require this).

Avoid the Central cloud license if you can.

Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

When adding new IAPs to an existing cluster, make sure they are factory default and the same firmware version as is running on the cluster.