Aruba Instant Review

Offers a lot of flexibility, almost everything can be configured

What is our primary use case?

We use Aruba Instant Access Points — one of the components of Instant Manager — to deploy wireless services to the ships that are running on the coast of Antwerp. This would be tug boats and other vessels in shipping that need communications capabilities.

What is most valuable?

I think Aruba Instant Management is really pretty flexible because of the versatility of the configuration and it just works very well for our purposes.

What needs improvement?

The management interface in Aruba Instant Management is Aruba AirWave. In my opinion, it is not very user-friendly. This is not a criticism of the Aruba Products overall. In fact they work very well. I am referring specifically to Aruba Airwave — just that one component within the solution. If Aruba would do something with this to make this interface better, the product would be much improved.

Other than that I have no idea what the product would need. I have everything that I need functionally, so I can not think of a missing feature.

We have been using the product for four years.

The product is very stable. We have no problems with that area of usage.

I believe Instant Management is easy to scale. However, we do not use it on large scale environments so I cannot give you a very accurate opinion of that aspect of its use. We use it in very small setups. I do not have first-hand experience with how it works if you extend to a larger scale.

As far as how extensively Aruba Instant is being used, we could be using it daily. It is operational 24-hours a day — that is for sure. It is stable and it works fine. But in management, we sometimes use it only once a week.

We have three users in management to take care of the system if it needs attention. But that is management only. There are more users who are actually on the wireless, of course.

We have not had the need to contact Aruba technical support but that could be a good sign.

Aruba is the first product that had the capabilities that we were interested in so we did not use another product previous to this one for this purpose.

The initial setup is pretty complex. We were able to set it up by ourselves without the help of consultants or vendors but it took some time to get it done. I think the first set up took about two days which is longer than we had hoped.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering this solution is that Aruba Instant Management is a very good group of products and it is very stable. Be aware that there is quite a learning curve for the AirWave management platform.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Aruba Instant Management as an eight-out-of-ten. It is not a nine or a ten because of the problem with the user-friendliness of the AirWave management platform. The products offer a lot of flexibility. Almost everything can be configured. There is only a problem with the one component that causes it to be difficult to understand and difficult to set up and get working for the first time. It detracts from the usability of the product and how quickly it can be deployed.

More Aruba Instant reviews from users