Aruba Switches Review

Extremely reliable with great back-up and support provided

What is our primary use case?

These are ethernet switches that provide power over the net for our PoE requirements, basically layer two and layer three features that we have. I'm the head of technical support and we are customers of Aruba.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature about HP is the warranty. All switches are very similar when it comes to most functionalities. Mostly switches provide a one-year warranty, but with HPE switches, if there's a unit that malfunctions, we call them and they replace it the next business day if that line is still available. We had a switch we reported the other day, it was a 25-10, which we procured way back, around 2014, and they replaced it. In general, HP provides a lot of support for its products. We will be doing some tinkering on the VLAN soon, first the layer two, and then connecting the layer three functionalities for some other departments. The advantage of Aruba compared to other switches is their reliability. If the product is trustworthy, I'll continue to use it.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the solution could be improved. Before it became Aruba, it was a cheaper product. When Aruba was acquired by HPE, the prices went up. Most features I would want are there already. It's basically the upgrade, in terms of speed, and the price aspect that are issues for us. Right now we have the new switches, the Pen G features, which are still very expensive. Maybe in two or three years, these switches will be more affordable.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable product, the whole department uses them.

HP have had problems with support from time to time but they're quite good. We report when we need and then they replace what's required.

The initial setup is straightforward. They have certain manuals which we can follow on how to define the VLANs and other things, including some of the security. As far as the programming is concerned, I think it's very similar to Cisco. We have an IT team for our implementations and we've built the competency inside. We get the product, we get the manuals, we download and we test it and see if we can do it. If we cannot do it then we ask the vendor for support. We define the IP addresses that we can access remotely and the rest can be done from our office. It's more about testing the equipment to see if it works.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Aruba switches.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

More Aruba Switches reviews from users
...who work at a Consumer Goods Company
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.