Aruba Wireless Review

The initial setup required a lot of work however the scalability is the key for the solution

What is most valuable?

The scalability is the key here. We operate in a multi-vendor environment, running proprietary and open source software as well as pretty much every OS in it. We have to be able to adjust features as we need them throughout the WLAN.

How has it helped my organization?

WLAN is one of the major functions that allows employee movement without re-doing cabling etc.

What needs improvement?

I haven't encountered an area for improvement and am quite satisfied with the product.

We implemented WLAN 4 years ago.

We haven't encountered any major issues with the deployment. Normal minor glitches as usual, but nothing major. I'd expect to face the same issues with any brand of WLANs.

All stability issues have been due to configuration changes. Currently as the WLAN expands we are starting to have some issues that aren't directly dependent on Arubas' solution, but issues in aggregate and core network layers.

We have no issues in scalability.

8 out of 10.

8 out of 10.

I'm familiar via my career with other manufacturers solutions and have worked with those too. In my current position we have used Arubas' WLAN from the start.

As always in complex systems, initial setup required a lot of work that might be seen as complex. On the other hand it was also logical and among the professionals, straightforward. Initial setup of single equipment is easy, but it only allows you to start configuring it.

We did the implementation in-house with a technical person from the manufacturer.

Every AP implemented takes out around 3 switch interfaces. Also work can be done away from the desk, and much faster in certain positions. I'd say that it took about three years to get an ROI.

We did a massive comparison with most of the WLAN vendors and from those we chose Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

Main thing is to have a clear vision of what is needed from the WLAN and of course, the expertise of the staff is one key factor. Pretty much, the rest is just pricing of the solution, acquisition and running costs.