Aruba Wireless Review

Reliable, stable platform from controller to AP. Cost prohibitive compared to similar solutions on the market.​

What is our primary use case?

I administered Aruba Wireless systems at two organizations. The first was a private college with around 12,000 endpoints campus wide, which included over 500 Aruba access points of various models and generations configured through the Aruba 7220 Mobility Controller. The second was a private high school with around 5000 endpoints and 130 Aruba access points, models 125 and 134, and configured through an Aruba 3600 Mobility Controller.

I have been maintaining Aruba Wireless systems at these two different organization for around 4 years in total.

How has it helped my organization?

A reliable wireless connection is imperative in a modern school setting. Our organization is forced to resort to inefficient methods without wireless internet. Aruba provides an easy to manage solution for my team.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features have been the following:

• Reliability: Stable platform from controller to AP.
  • Responsive support: When support is needed, the Aruba engineers are normally quick to respond to problems.
  • Ease of Deployment: APs are very easy to configure to the network once they contact the controller.

What needs improvement?

Aruba has been an excellent solution. However, I am aiding in transitioning my organization to a different wireless solution due to the cost. We need to expand our network and the cost of new APs and an upgraded controller have proved to be prohibitive compared to similar solutions on the market.

Three to five years.

Aruba is an excellent option for campus wireless. It can be more labor intensive initially than other options, such as Cisco Meraki, however it provides a reliable wireless platform that can be easily maintained by a small network team.