AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Helpful threat intelligence capability, but the reporting is mediocre

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed security service provider and we offer AlienVault USM to our clients. We use it to monitoring their environments and to maintain their logs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is threat intelligence. Their community is a very helpful tool and I think it's one of the values of AlienVault.

What needs improvement?

They set aside a lot of the functionality from the on-premises version that we found very helpful in managing tickets. As it is now, the cloud-based deployment is lacking these useful features.

The reporting is mediocre and is something that needs to be improved.

I have been using the cloud-based deployment of this solution for about two years.

The stability is fine.

Scalability in a cloud solution is tied to costs. With any cloud solution, the more data you have and the larger your company, the higher the price point. I wouldn't say that scaling is easy, but it is standard.

Technical support is slow to respond when we put in a ticket. We're a number.

We use both the on-premises version and USM Anywhere. The latter is a SaaS solution.

The initial setup is okay. At an additional cost, they offer services to assist with deployment.

Our take on it is that we are paying more for this product because of the AT&T name. We don't necessarily find that we are getting more functionality or quality, given the price point.

The licensing fees are dependent on usage.

We are currently evaluating different SIEM solutions. I have found that all of them have issues, whether it is related to functionality or price point. Even the ones that have a high price don't provide everything that you need.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to evaluate all of the options that are out there. There is no one, great answer, so you have to figure out what best fits your needs.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More AT&T AlienVault USM reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about AT&T, Splunk, LogRhythm and others in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM). Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.