AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Easy setup with great security information management and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cybersecurity events and management.

What is most valuable?

The SIEM, security information management is very, very good. Basically, it's great at analyzing the logs of our servers.

The setup is very easy and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit complicated. It could be simplified quite a bit.

The correlation engine could be improved. Much improvement could be made there, as it is an important open-source solution.

The solution could benefit from including security orchestration. It's still not available yet. It would be really nice to have in a future release.

It could use something like a pen test. Tools like that would make it more comprehensive from a cybersecurity aspect.

I've been using the solution since about 2015. It's been approximately six years or so.

The solution is extremely stable. We don't have any issues with its reliability. It doesn't crash or freeze and it's not buggy at all.

The solution doesn't scale well if you are talking about enterprises using it. However, for our purposes, we've never had an issue with this. Larger companies might. We do intend to continue to use the solution and potentially increase usage.

Technical support is extremely reliable. We've very satisfied with the level of service we receive. They are always knowledgeable, helpful, and responsive.

The initials setup is not complex. It's a very straightforward implementation.

The overall deployment is quite quick. It might take about 30 minutes or so. That's all.

The solution has a subscription-based annual payment option. It's not a perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models.

We both use the solution and sell the solution as well.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight.

We're more focused on servicing medium to small businesses. This solution may not be suitable for a large enterprise-level organization.

That said, we highly recommend it. I'd recommend that new users decide to first go for the trial. Take the trial and then make sure that you like it before investing in the subscription. The company offers a free trial - you might as well use it.

More AT&T AlienVault USM reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee ESM
Find out what your peers are saying about AT&T, Splunk, LogRhythm and others in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM). Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.