AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Before AlientVault we had no visibility of our vulnerabilities without looking up WSUS and matching this against the Windows bulletins.

Valuable Features

The correlation from the Host Based Intrusion to Network Intrusion against the vulnerabilities in my network.

Improvements to My Organization

We had no visibility of our vulnerabilities without looking up WSUS and matching this against the Windows bulletins. This completely missed the mark when it came to third party patches and poor configuration and waster hours upon hours for half a story. Not to mention we have a much better understanding of how and when we are being attacked.

Room for Improvement

The reporting could do with some improvements for example the vulnerability report only tells you what vulnerabilities are open and lists them but there is no indication of how old they are at a glance and what vulnerabilities have been closed since the previous scans. I would also like to see the ability to scan my devices for compliance against the CIS Benchmarks.

Use of Solution

I have had this solution in place for just over a year now.

I've not experienced any issues with this yet.

I've not experienced any issues with this yet.

The tech support guys have been very friendly and helped as soon as there has been any issue. I cannot fault their technical support.

I used multiple products to try and get someway towards the level of visibility afforded by AlienVault. ManageEngine SIEM, Qualys, vulnerability management, and Norton for HIDS. Having this all in one interface made more sense which swayed the decision to go with Alienvault.

Very easy for initial set-up. My system was up and running within two hours. When you start to get into it more, then you need a better technical understanding.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This is much cheaper than some of the big names it is very affordable and scalable.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at managed services from Dell SecureWorks as well as Qualys & Nessus.

Other Advice

Being the only Security professional in an organisation of well over 1000 people AlienVault lets me keep a watchful eye whilst getting on with my day job. This is a very good product with excellent support. Personally I would have preferred to go on the AlienVault System Engineers course as I believe this would help in fine tuning the system.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTami Andrews

Thanks so much for the feedback on your experience with AlienVault & USM.