AT&T AlienVault USM Review

I'm able to scan for vulnerabilities quickly on existing devices and also for new devices being deployed.

Valuable Features

The fact that I am a very small security team and AlienVault allows me to have a SIEM, FIM and Vulnerability scanner all in one.

Improvements to My Organization

I am able to scan for vulnerabilities quickly on existing devices and also for new devices being deployed. Since I don’t have a lot of time to learn new and complicated tools, being an e-commerce company, this allows me to increase the security posture of the overall organization and also to help pass PCI compliance.

Room for Improvement

With all these products there is always room for improvement. Whether it’s making the filtering of anomalies better, making setup and deployment faster, streamlining more of the functional aspects of the product, etc. There is really not one thing that stands out in particular.

Use of Solution

About one year

I had some initial issues with some of the upgrades in version, but with the help of their support team, we were able to resolve all of them.

No, not yet. We are growing at a rapid pace and eventually will need more sensors, but I believe that will be a painless upgrade.

Tech support is great. Very knowledgeable, reliable, and have resolved all problems, escalated when necessary, and handled all my cases very professionally.

I have used different solutions at previous jobs. AlienVault was a new purchase and install. When asked for my opinion, I did recommend AlienVault as the solution since my comparison of all products came down to AlienVault being the best for our particular environment.

It was very straightforward. I had made a couple of little mistakes that most likely would have been avoided if I had not rushed a few aspects of the install, but tech support was able to get me back on the right track.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The pricing for this solution with the 3 major components: SIEM, FIM, and vulnerability scanning, can’t be beat. There are other systems that are way more robust, but way more complicates and way more expensive. This solution was perfect for us.

Other Solutions Considered

I had eliminated others prior to evaluating AlienVault based on prior experience. Tripwire for FIM, QRadar for SIM, eEye Digital for vulnerability scans. All of which are great tools, but much more pricey. We briefly looked at LogRhythm, Tenable, and Splunk as well.

Other Advice

I would say to implement it. It has all the components needed to help secure your environment as long as you have someone who can dedicate some time to it. But even if you don’t, like in my case, it is a much better solution that the others.

2 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTami Andrews

Thank you Don for your thoughtful feedback.