AT&T AlienVault USM Review

AlienVault helped take us from semi-Pro to Pro

What is most valuable?

The NIDS/HIDS features have probably been the best features for us in our environment. We've had some open-source options and, while they work, it isn't the same as having commercial support. SIEM is the second-most useful feature.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been able to professionally generate alerts for IDS, SIEM and vulnerabilities where we didn't have those capabilities before.

What needs improvement?

Reporting still needs a lot of work, especially on the vulnerability side. Vulnerability management UI could be improved as well.

Vulnerability reports are clunky and difficult to manage. The layout is not really professional or intuitive and takes some time to understand how to navigate it. In general, while there are some customization options with reporting features as far a look and feel, reports still have an “open source” feeling. In general, the look is not as clean and professional as what one is used to seeing in other, similar products.

I have used it for 16 months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We encountered one stability issue. With the amount of log data we were sending, our sensor drives were filling up within a day or two. We had to create some cron jobs to ensure logs were rotated more frequently.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. You just add another sensor; pretty easy.

Customer service is excellent! Always very responsive.

Technical support is excellent! Always very responsive.

We used Nexpose for vulnerability management and moving away from that was the primary reason we went with AlienVault.

Initial setup was very easy for the most part. We were paired with a third-party vendor for onboarding. We didn't work well with this group, but AlienVault happily transferred our service hours to another group and that relationship worked much better for us.

An in-house team implemented it.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options., we looked at Nessus SecurityCenter with Log Management.

What other advice do I have?

We've been very happy with the purchase. While the list of supported vendors in the SIEM continues to grow, I do wish that creating plugins was a little easier.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTami Andrews

thank you Aaron for your review & comments.