AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Allows us to roll out log management on clients and servers, host-based IDS, and network-based IDS.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped improve our overall IT security by allowing us to implement a full suite of security tools that allows us to roll out log management on clients and servers, host-based IDS, and network-based IDS. It also provides vulnerability scanning; however, we use a separate product for that.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this product is the ease of use. It is extremely easy to set up and get going. This is a very useful tool for a small organization.

What needs improvement?

I feel that some areas of improvement would be vulnerability scanning. We use a separate product that seems to do a much better job.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues; the product scales very easy.

I would rate customer service an 8/10. I've received calls from customer service a few times a month and it gets a little overbearing, especially when you are busy, as IT professionals are.

I would rate technical support a 9/10.

This was our first solution for HIDS, NIDS, and log management.

The initial setup was straightforward. I simply followed the steps in the setup wizard and the steps provided by technical support, and I had a trial version (later converted to paid version with additional steps) set up in about an hour or less.

This was set up in-house.

It is really hard to put a number on ROI but I will say that AlienVault has allowed us to close the gap on security alert timing and we can respond to incidents in a much more timely fashion which, to me, is much more valuable than a number.

AlienVault is flexible on their pricing for unlimited licenses.

We evaluated Splunk as well. AlienVault was a much cheaper solution and required less time to be rolled out. Splunk is a much more difficult product to work with and almost requires a dedicated employee to manage.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend AlienVault USM for anybody that is seeking a SIEM solution that is easy to implement and easy to manage. It works very well for small- and medium-size businesses.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Julia FrohweinCommunity Mgr

Can you elaborate on any other valuable features you have found with AlienVault?

29 May 17
Tami AndrewsVendor

Brett - thank you so much for taking time to provide your comments & feedback.

26 June 17