AT&T AlienVault USM Review

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to gain a better understanding of how data flows within our network, and has helped us think about what type of things we want to be alerted on, or not alerted on.

What is most valuable?

AlienVault provides you with a unified view for all aspects of what is going on in your environment. It allows you to define what alerts you want to see, or not to see, as well as if you want them grouped, or ungrouped.

What needs improvement?

The reporting aspect could be improved. While there are a lot of different options available, there are still pieces which are missing. The views are also very static and do not give you a lot of options on how the data is presented.

No, the product is stable.

No, our network has stayed for the most part the same. In the future, it should be scalable with additional sensors.

This is an area that could be improved.

This is an area that could be improved. However, once you get a knowledgeable tech support person, they are good to work with.

No, this is our first SIEM device.

Both. It was simple to just get up and running. However, when you start tweaking it for your organization it gets more complex.

A little bit of both. The vendor team's expertise was amazing. I highly recommend using them.

The time that it would take to manually investigate events versus looking at one dashboard.

Definitely get professional services.

Darktrace and QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

Once set up, for the most part, it is a "set it and forget it" solution. There is some upkeep with making sure all the things are monitored, but other than that AlienVault provides what you need out-of-the-box.

1 Comment
author avatarTami Andrews

Thank you David for your time to review AlienVault USM and for your candid feedback!