AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Enables managing everything from one place, including vulnerability assessments and asset management

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is Security Information and Event Management, as well as forensic analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

Undoubtedly having all security core technology under one roof, as provided by the all-in-one USM solution from AlienVault, is a big advantage for day-to-day business security operations. From real experience, it has enabled total transparency in terms of security information and events, from day one.

What is most valuable?

It provides a single pane of glass view, coupled with a whole security ecosystem. The ability to manage everything from a central point, including vulnerability assessments, asset management - including the services provided by the various hosts - NIDS, HIDS, etc., provides a very efficient way of dealing with things.

Their OTX intel is also great, as one needs to know who is running around threatening the IT infrastructure with a "crowbar."

What needs improvement?

The reporting module could be a little easier to handle, as it requires quite some trial and error until you get the reports you want. Also, it would be great to have a graphical interface for the Network Intrusion Detection System's rule management.

The solution is rock solid; never any issues.

We have not experienced any scalability issues, but we also know that you can easily add more sensors, which helps to spread the load.

Technical support is always helpful and responsive. They do care about their customers.

Our previous solution consisted of building a SIEM based on individual components/modules from the open-source space.

The initial setup is absolutely straightforward. It is up and running in no time. This is definitely one of the unique selling propositions of the solution.

So far, it has been a good solution for a tight budget.

What other advice do I have?

AlienVault is a great fit, especially for smaller organizations, as it will enable you to produce quick results with no need to worry about too many details.

1 Comment
Tami AndrewsVendor

Thanks so much for your time and feedback Christian!

01 April 19