AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Enables us to search for critical vulnerabilities in our network

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the intrusion protection on our firewall. It's monitoring all our incoming traffic from the outside world through a firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous to this, we really didn't have any protection, any intrusion system in place. It's made me more comfortable, since I'm in charge of IT for this company. I sleep better at night.

Using the solution, we have been able to look for critical vulnerabilities in our network. Thankfully, we haven't found any. It takes just a couple of hours.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is what it can block, what it can prevent from coming in.

What needs improvement?

The only that I can think of is that is not ideal is sending Windows Server logs to their device, to the system. That has to be done on each server. I don't know if they have changed that.

It's a stable solution.

It's very scalable.

Tech support is very good. They usually respond very quickly.

This is the first solution of its kind for us.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The deployment took about a day. In terms of our implementation strategy, we have the cloud version. You create a VM in your system, it communicates with the cloud, and then you just log in through the cloud.

It's very reasonably priced. It was one of the lowest among the ones I looked at. Licensing is pretty flexible. They can do a two-year or a three-year, even a one-year, perhaps.

I looked at two others but I don't remember their names.

What other advice do I have?

Compare it to the other vendors in the field, some of the top vendors. Make sure it fits your needs. It's more for a mid-sized company or a small company, not a large enterprise.

Regarding using it for discovering assets in our network which do not belong, our network isn't that big so we really don't use it for that. We also don't use the solution for compliance with regulations.

When it comes to staff using the solution, at the moment it is me and a monitoring service. We're the only ones who log into the solution. As for deployment, one person could probably do it because they help you deploy it. I did the deployment myself, with AlienVault. For maintenance, if you have a monitoring service that's fine, but if you're doing it yourself, you probably need somebody monitoring the log. When there's an incident, you probably need one or two other people.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It does what we need and it's reliable.

1 Comment
Tami AndrewsVendor

Thank you so much Lorenzo for taking time to share your experience & feedback!

01 April 19