Aternity Review

Reduces the amount of time that we spend debugging issues

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for user experience analysis and troubleshooting of end user problems. Down the road, we are planning to integrate it with other systems and do data mining and analytics to analyze user experience trends, then correlate and generate alerts if there are systematic problems in the user experience. We can then correlate it to the line of business, location, and the specific software causing the problem.

We previously used version 7 and are now using version 11.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a tool that helps me check users' computers really quickly without having a help desk administrator logging in and doing analysis. Anyone who has access to Aternity, including our support team, can log onto Aternity and do a quick, basic analysis.

You cannot see their screen. However, you can see some statistics, numbers, and performance. After you implement your custom applications, it will give information about the device itself. It can also give you information about the network and the back-end computing. From my experience, this reduces the troubleshooting time by 70 or 80 percent.

What is most valuable?

The troubleshooting is the most valuable feature because we are experiencing some issues with end user computing. It is very helpful finding out what is the root cause.

Aternity provides visibility into the employee device and application transactions all the way through to the back-end. There are applications or nonstandard applications where you have an ability to extend them to add extra information, which we are doing right now. You can clarify the information that you receive on Aternity, like your custom application. If it is web-based, then you can customize it with minimal development and get extra information about personal transactions as well as the user experience of browsing between application tabs on the browser.

What needs improvement?

In version 7, there was a separate tab for certain applications where I could open five IE Explorer instances or pathways in Chrome, which I found really useful. It had memory consumption and CPU per process. We already indicated to Aternity that it would be helpful to have this again.

Right now, the user information being displayed by Aternity is received from AD. Ideally, we would like to see integration with other sources for user information, like other databases, so we are not limited to AD.

I have used it for about two years.

In two years, we haven't had any problems with Aternity.

We have had no problems with scalability.

We have deployed about 2,200 licenses so far. We are planning overall to have about 8,000 to 10,000 users.

I have used the technical support a little bit. Usually, they are very good. They have been responsive and come with solutions quickly.

We didn't have this type of tool before.

I didn't set up the back-end. I only had experience with installing agents on users' machines. Installing the agents is very simple.

Another team did the setup.

There is a small group who handles any performance tools. They are not a big team.

There is definitely a return because there is a 30 percent reduction in the amount of time we spend debugging issues.

Aternity has helped us to reduce hardware refresh costs by considering the actual employee experience, rather than just the age of the employees’ devices. It has definitely been very helpful by giving us the full picture what needs to be done. We are in this specific situation because we are doing a refresh because of another initiative. It has told us that we didn't need to replace the hardware by at least 10 percent.

The pricing for the users and agents is reasonable compared to other solutions and vendors.

The fact that other products may provide deeper visibility into device performance doesn't concern me at all since I get so much detail regarding what I need.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful tool. We are still learning it.

The solution is very helpful to have. Companies look at the application monitoring and performance. Aternity gives you the ability to see end-to-end, so you just don't see applications; you see the user experience of an application. Because you could have the best application in your data center, but you might have problems accessing it. Or, if the computing devices are not optimal, they don't benefit from having fantastic applications on the back-end. So, it gives you the holistic view of your overall end-to-end journey.

I would rate the solution as an eight or nine out of 10 because of the improvements that I suggested.

More Aternity reviews from users