Atlassian Confluence Review

We're able to create and organize our self-written documentation efficiently, although it's written in, and therefore has the overhead and issues of, Java.

What is most valuable?

Categories, document editing and creation, the great permission system, awesome plugin management.

How has it helped my organization?

Confluence allows creating new documentation very fast. This allowed us to organize our self-written documentation in a very efficient way.

What needs improvement?

There are two things which annoy us the most:

(a) It is written in Java and therefore comes with all the overhead and issues of Java applications.

(b) It doesn't allow editing documents with multiple users at the same time.

I have been using it for almost two years.

Deployment can be painful when you have to deal with different Java versions or keystores. The rest is very simple since there is a very good install and upgrade wizard.

No, Confluence turned out to be very stable.

No, not yet.

I didn't get in touch with Atlassian yet. But they have an awesome wiki and Q&A section.

I was using several open source wiki systems, all of them lacked the great ACL and plugin system of Confluence.

It was straight forward.

I implemented it myself.

The more users you have, the more money you will spend. Make sure to give only those users access who really need it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to run backups by dumping the database and saving the Confluence home on nightly basis.