Atlassian Confluence Review

We're able to create and organize our self-written documentation efficiently, although it's written in, and therefore has the overhead and issues of, Java.

Valuable Features:

Categories, document editing and creation, the great permission system, awesome plugin management.

Improvements to My Organization:

Confluence allows creating new documentation very fast. This allowed us to organize our self-written documentation in a very efficient way.

Room for Improvement:

There are two things which annoy us the most:

(a) It is written in Java and therefore comes with all the overhead and issues of Java applications.

(b) It doesn't allow editing documents with multiple users at the same time.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for almost two years.

Deployment Issues:

Deployment can be painful when you have to deal with different Java versions or keystores. The rest is very simple since there is a very good install and upgrade wizard.

Stability Issues:

No, Confluence turned out to be very stable.

Scalability Issues:

No, not yet.

I didn't get in touch with Atlassian yet. But they have an awesome wiki and Q&A section.

Previous Solutions:

I was using several open source wiki systems, all of them lacked the great ACL and plugin system of Confluence.

Initial Setup:

It was straight forward.

Implementation Team:

I implemented it myself.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The more users you have, the more money you will spend. Make sure to give only those users access who really need it.

Other Advice:

Make sure to run backups by dumping the database and saving the Confluence home on nightly basis.

2 visitors found this review helpful