Atlassian Confluence Review

Business users create business collaboration solutions and web-like interfaces.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to create business collaboration solutions without having an army of IT professionals. We can create web-like interfaces without needing to be an expert in Java, Java scripts, or HTML.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the tool to establish a collaboration space across federal agencies, state agencies, and other public stakeholders. We are able to create a simple workflow and have an electronic record of those activities.

What needs improvement?

The basic improvement needed from my perspective (and it may be more to do with how Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has allowed certain features of Confluence to be used) is the ability to move multiple attachments at a time. I would like to be able to copy a set of pages in Confluence as a template. It would be nice to have better business collaboration examples.

We have used this product for five years.

We had stability issues sometimes, but I am not quite sure where those issues occurred. I don’t know if slowness is occurring on the OMB server end or on my organization's end in terms of network transfer of information. Sometimes the system does not respond as fast as a normal web interface. I am happy, overall, because I understand the power of the collaboration efforts being done. However, I think most people are used to one-way communication when it comes to the internet and they expect the same speed when collaborating from a two-way (or more )perspective.

The system has incredible scalability. I have not used all of the features that OMB provides, but we have an integrated system with:

• Collaboration & Information Sharing
  • Workflow
  • Web Frameworks
  • Common Database
  • Identity and Provisioning

I don’t interact with Atalssian directly, but rather through OMB who interacts with Atalssian. OMB is my technical contact and in terms of my use of the system they are fairly responsive. The system is a federal-wide system, in which participating federal agencies pay a fee ($50-200K) to be a member and use it as a shared service. When there are special initiatives, a federal agency may have to pay a little more. When I say a little more, I mean a little more, not huge amounts of money.

I used previous systems, such as email, common spaces, CDs, snail mail, and lately, SharePoint (we are still using this as well). These are all painful, unsecure systems and require an IT army.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to solve complex problems with a simple solution, then use Confluence and use it to scale to more complicated things as you grow.

1 visitor found this review helpful