Atlassian Confluence Review
Valuable features include editing and creating web based content. The interface and functionality is different for those used to legacy systems.

What is most valuable?

• Quick and easy editing/creating of web based content
  • Content is easy to format and easy to share: You simply type and save in a web browser
  • Atlassian is an AWESOME company
  • Confluence is the BEST wiki on the market

How has it helped my organization?

• It gives our company a single place to document run books, procedures, and knowledge base articles
  • It's quick and easy to edit
  • It seamlessly integrates with other tools we use, like JIRA

What needs improvement?

• Some versions have annoying bugs from time to time. Doesn't all software?
  • The interface and functionality is different for users used to legacy content management systems like SharePoint. However, spending a few minutes with Confluence and its intuitive interface will have them creating content quickly.

I also manage a SharePoint team, so I'm not biased. It’s just my opinion based on what I see.

I've used and administered Confluence for the past three years, over five versions. I am about to upgrade to the sixth version.

With earlier versions, such as 5.4.4, we did have stability issues. After upgrading, we've been stable and fast.

Stability issues were caused by an increased user load, i.e., scalability.

Technical support gets a rating of 5/5. We pay for Premier support. It covers ALL Atlassian products. If these products are in any way important to your company, it's worth the cost.

We were using TWiki. We needed an enterprise ready tool instead of freeware.

The setup was straightforward and perfectly documented. Atlassian gives you a step-by-step guide. You would expect nothing less from a documentation platform.

Atlassian is dirt cheap when it comes to enterprise software. I would suggest limiting the number of plugins (a.k.a., add-ons), as they are an extra cost and many times you're dealing with third-party vendors.

At the very least, use the ones that say "Atlassian Verified" and "Supported".

We did not evaluate anything else that I know of.

What other advice do I have?

• Hire someone with experience using Atlassian tools, if possible
  • Don't implement organically
  • Have a PLAN for how you want your information structured