Atlassian Crowd Review

LDAP connection is a valuable feature but exporting users/groups toward LDAP has room for improvement

What is most valuable?

User/groups assignment to applications, LDAP connection and the Apache module.

How has it helped my organization?

I setup and administrate Crowd for a client of ours. Users are able to perform Single Sign On on all the Atlassian products including Subversion authentication through an Apache module and soon GIT.

What needs improvement?

Exporting users/group toward LDAP and retrieving LDAP attributes like photo profile.

2 years

I haven't encountered any issues.

Customer Service: On a scale from 1-5 I would give it a 5.Technical Support: On a scale from 1-5 I would give it a 5.

No, it was a need since we use other Atlassian products.

It is straightforward, especially because the standalone version requires only a few things to be configured.

In-house, I perform setup and maintenance (security patches) on my own.

$1,200 per year. Once setup, the management is really easy.

No, we didn't. I am currently evaluating other products to avoid possible vendor lock in and to explore possible new features.

What other advice do I have?

If your budget allows, it is worth purchasing Crowd once you have at least 2 Atlassian products like Jira and Confluence. I would start to put users in an LDAP directory, so other application that cannot connect to Crowd at least can connect to LDAP (see my article on http://opensource.com/business/14/5/top-4-open-source-ldap-implementations).