Atlassian SourceTree Review

I like the way that the number of changes waiting for a 'pull' or a 'push' appear next to the icons. It is not always so easy to find the functionality you are looking for.

Valuable Features:

Importing existing XML files or full test suites to the projects is a valuable feature. The test summary is very useful and intuitive. The responses have very short latency.

I like the view of the changes made in the Working Copy. It is very clear and supports undoing specific changes before committing. I like the automatic merge of conflicting files and the general behavior with conflicts. The 'Tag' option is very simple and intuitive. You can easily configure an additional merging tool to help you with your complicated conflicts, I use KDiff3. I think the options of creating new branches and switching between existing branches are very fast and easy. In my previous job we used Perforce and I thought it wasn't as good in these areas. I like the way that the number of changes waiting for a 'pull' or a 'push' appear next to the icons.

Improvements to My Organization:

I was doing a very complex file change merge using SourceTree and it took me less than half of the time I estimated. All of the automatic conflicts resolved were very good and the serious conflict were very easy to find and fix.

Room for Improvement:

I think the console can be improved, to allow more shortcuts (for example- supporting dragging a file from the Working Copy to the console ).
Another small improvement I can thick about: allow creating folders to divide the branches and stashes, this is a very simple change that will make things clear.

The UI can be improved because it is not always so easy to find the functionality you are looking for.

Deployment Issues:

There were no issues deploying it for us.

Stability Issues:

We've experienced no issues with performance.

Scalability Issues:

It can be difficult to gather data on large Geneos estates.

Other Solutions Considered:

We tested a big portion of our online API product using SoapUI and it was very fast and efficient.

Other Advice:

Try to make the product as intuitive as possible, with graphs and nice GUI design, sometimes the history of the working flow can be very complex, a clear graph that describes the merges between the branches makes thing a lot easier to understand. Try to implement good merge process, as automated as possible.

Make sure the SOAP requests are as efficient as possible, this is the most important for the users.