Auth0 Review

Provides login authentication for mobile apps and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

I'm a security architect. The product is used by our customers, not by our company people directly, so I expect we would have several thousand people using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by providing login authentication for a mobile app.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would have to be authentication using OpenID Connect.

What needs improvement?

The product could use a more flexible administration structure in the next release. It could be improved by extending the administration model.

I've been using Auth0 for about two years.

There is no problem with product stability.

We haven't had any problems with scalability.

We've had good experience with technical support.

We previously used a different solution which was an open-source solution that was on-prem. I can't recall the name of that, but it was an open-source tool. One of the main reasons we switched to Auth0 is that supporting an on-prem version required a certain amount of expertise and management and we didn't need to be spending money on that if we were using a software as a service provider.

The other aspect was that on-prem you have to manage the security yourself. By using a software product as a service provider in the cloud, we were able to outsource those security concerns to them. The security was their responsibility and no longer our problem.

The setup is straightforward. We've deployed it in a number of applications, some of those would have taken less than a couple of days of development and deployment, and some of them would have taken weeks. But it's dependent on the complexity of the deployment. That's not a function of Auth0, it's a function of what our digital transformation is trying to do. We used an Auth0 consultant for deployment.

We used an Auth0 consultant for implementation and he was very good and very knowledgeable. There is nobody in our company dedicated to maintaining the system for our customers.

There are licensing costs for this product. We have an enterprise agreement with Auth0.

We evaluated a couple of other options before choosing Auth0. We looked at Microsoft and Okta. We went with Auth0 because at the time Microsoft was about to renew, so it wasn't as easy to set up, although Microsoft is a fine product and Okta is also a fine product, at that stage, it was more aligned on-prem authentication than it was to B2C.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I think that if your application is developer-driven, then Auth0 provides extremely good developer support and supports multiple development tools and strategies. That's where I believe the product comes into its own. If you're enterprise, then Okta or Microsoft are probably a better solution. It's worth watching.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.