Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

The bot creation process is simple and useful

What is our primary use case?

Our first use case was to program a bot which could do the work of approximate 30 people, taking around half a year to implement. We did that bot around a year ago. This bot was the best case scenario for Automation Anywhere, making it the perfect application for RPA in our corporation.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation Anywhere can work with very old applications. For example, we had one application about to collapse and were able to capture all its information before the collapse happened.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its easy to use. For developers, the solution is super easy. I just learned the new Workbench editor, which is even better. In the version that we have now, we normally use a few TaskBots and a lot of MetaBots, so we can integrate DLLs and further enhance the bots that we have. It is very impressive.

The bot creation process is simple and useful. Whatever you need to do, it is there. If there is something else, there are the MetaBot functions.

What needs improvement?

It has been challenging integrating Automation Anywhere with other solutions, due to all of the controls, as we are a bank.

We are really excited to have Python run directly from the bots. This would be a massive upgrade, as we could integrate AI even further with the solution.

There is room for improvement in AI, but they are working on it.

They can work more on integrating the code. I would like to see more similar examples where we don't have to create the code in the bot, but can create the code in the Workbench.

The technical support is great, but I would like them to be faster with their response times. Sometimes, we have to contact them multiple time on the same ticket to receive a response.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, especially as a PoC. With the controls, it could be a bit more complex.

We have a third-party who manages our IT. They did an IaaS, then we did everything else.

We also evaluated UiPath and Automation Anywhere.

We chose Automation Anywhere, as it was the more complete, simpler application.

What other advice do I have?

Do a very simple automation of an application entry, like registration. Then, you will see how fast the application is and will start using it right away.

Every time a new employee starts with us, we start them on the Automation Anywhere University, "Hello Bot: Introduction to RPA" course.

While the cognitive document processing is very impressive, we sadly don't have it right now. We are working on acquiring it.

We don't use Citrix. We use Azure for every deployment. Azure has worked very well and is scalable.