Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

The bot creation process is pretty user friendly for a lot of tasks, but it can be cumbersome for logic and variable manipulation

What is our primary use case?

We are automating internal processes, mostly at the task level. We are going in and looking for manual work which can be reduced through the use of automation.

Primarily, we have automated finance and cost control related expenses.

We are still in the proof of concept and pilot stages.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had some moderate, qualified success, so far. We are just starting out, but we have been able to take an accounting task and clear a very large backlog. Therefore, being completely up-to-date of the task since implementing a bot on it.

What is most valuable?

The ability to automate low decision, highly repetitive tasks and clear large backlogs of tasks that we could not do with our human staff.

What needs improvement?

We have had some difficulty with ease of use. As far as getting the overall architecture setup, we had a lot of difficulties ensuring the control room was installed correctly and that we were setting up our runner machines correctly, as well. Some of that was due to our own IT not being fully up-to-date on the process and being properly informed. We also just found the install procedures somewhat cumbersome to use. In addition, we have had some difficulties getting it to interact in predictable ways with our in-house software.

We would like a smoother process for moving bots and tasks between the different development environments, from development to testing to production. We find this to be pretty cumbersome to work through.

Trial/evaluations only.

We have had some issues with stability. However, we think this is as much on our end as on Automation Anywhere's side. They have been very helpful with their customer service on resolving these issues.

The initial setup is complex.

We are doing everything in-house.

We look at ROI in a couple of different ways: FTE reduction, hours saved of human work, or errors caught. We are also looking at finding errors in our invoicing for our accounts payable team to be able to reduce those errors.

We spoke with a number of vendors.

What other advice do I have?

Look into what the requirements are from an IT standpoint and involve the IT team in ensuring that the installation and setup are handled smoothly. Make sure that the IT team is onboard and invested in a way that makes them a close partner in the automation process.

The bot creation process is pretty user friendly for a lot of tasks, such as the object cloning. I know a number of our developers have felt that it is a bit cumbersome with its logic and variable manipulation. A lot of us want to be able to start typing in directly rather than having to click and drag things, but as far as the core automation functionality, we found that pretty easy to use.

We have not used the IQ Bot.

I have not taken any course on Automation Anywhere University.