Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

Reduces FTEs needed for a process providing cost savings

What is our primary use case?

I use it to develop for the HR domain, where I am using Oracle PeopleSoft and Salesforce applications. Mostly, I use the object cloning command and Excel operations.

I work in a banking company. We use Automation Anywhere for global HR payroll operations and payslip-related automation. We have also automated hedge loans and credit card approvals.

We use versions 10.3 and 11. Compared to 10.3, version 11 is good and easier to automate because they introduced more options. You can also automate complex things. They introduced the Control Room feature too.

It is installed on-premise at our company.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Automation Anywhere for our leave approval process. We used to have three FTEs on the day shift working on this process. Now, we only have one FTE working on the leave approval process. The bot supports everything else in the process. With this bot, we are saving the cost of two FTEs.

What is most valuable?

• OCR
  • Object cloning
  • Excel automation
  • Reusable
  • Scalability
  • Code free

Most back-end operations start with Excel. With Automation Anywhere, we can easily automate the CSV in Excel operations. It is integrated with Microsoft Office 365.

The Control Room feature is very good.

We are using Taskbot for attended automation and unattended automation.

From the Bot Store, we can download bots. We can analyze the code. I have downloaded some bots just for coding standard purposes.

What needs improvement?

I would like more integration with Microsoft Excel. More screenshots that can be integrated with Excel would help our customers too. It is good that Automation Anywhere is now willing to partner with Microsoft.

I need to be able to work on Citrix with the solution.

I need cloud-based applications. Now, we are manually running the application.

I have worked on it for two years (since 2017).

The stability is good.

The scalability is perfect. It is a reusable product.

We have around 200 bots in the entire company. We have allocated separate systems for these bots. We have almost 350 processors that we have automated using the bots.

I have not used their technical support.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

For the bot creation process, we have a solution architecture team. They will analyze the process and check for feasibility before proceeding to next level. They'll check whether the process can be automated, then prepare a document which will come to me. Then, I'll try to make the SDLC. I'll check whether the process is possible, then we'll go for development. This is the structure:

1. Analysis and feasibility study.
  2. Documents preparation.
  3. Development.
  4. UAT.
  5. Deployment.

There's a process requirement. If I get request today, it will take some two to three months to develop and close the incident.

A cost savings example is processing parental leave applications. The volume per day that one FTE can do is eight or nine applications. When using Automation Anywhere, we can do 15 applications per day. Another thing is the improvement in accuracy and reduction in errors.

I like Automation Anywhere better than UiPath because you can review the drag and drop activity. You can also review the code line by line.

We are not using any other tools as we are partners with Automation Anywhere.

I used to work on UiPath. Automation Anywhere can easily be adopted and learnt. UiPath requires some programming skills and knowledge. Compared to UiPath, Automation Anywhere is easy to learn with its drag and drop commands. In UiPath, the commands were difficult to work with and also architecture.

Recently, Automation Anywhere introduced its cloud-based Control Room, where you can monitor the bot. Also, Automation Anywhere recently launched a mobile application, which UiPath doesn't have.

Automation Anywhere has Credential Manager.

What other advice do I have?

You can easily build and deploy the bots with it.

Train more people on a team to understand the tool to build teamwork. Share the development tasks.

Automation Anywhere has plugins for Excel, but we haven't integrated it with Oracle.

I have taken Automation Anywhere University courses. I am certified in Automation Anywhere. I have the Advanced certification and am now doing the Masters certification. The courses were good and helpful for anyone wants to learn about Automation Anywhere. Everything is on the website, e.g., information about installation, configuration, bot development, and bot assessment.

Automation Anywhere and RPA are not that difficult to learn. It can be learnt and be adopted easily, but you need at minimum practical knowledge. You need to take courses and scenarios. E.g., even if I know about object cloning, I still have to go and work with object cloning to understand the possibilities of object cloning.

We are not using IQ Bot.

Task schedules and runs are good candidates for bot automation.