Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

Quick to complete automation but needs improvement on data-related encryption

What is our primary use case?

We use it more in finance and HR processes, such as payment processing or validation of data. It is used to validated data from two different systems or putting that data into an application. There are multiple use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

It has changed our mindset. People have started to think about automating things and come up with new perspectives, alternatives, or improvements by which automation can be implemented.

What is most valuable?

• Service
  • User experience
  • Feature coming out soon in the RPA.

It is user-friendly and quick to complete automation.

What needs improvement?

There are security certifications on the tool, but there are still places where our organization has highlighted that there needs to be an improvement on data-related encryption. That is something which needs to be changed or improved.

My main worry is about the security. My organization is very concerned about the data. Data in transit is mostly covered through encryption or TLS 1.2, but there are few things which have been identified which need to be improved.

We need a better way of getting upgrades or defect fixes. It is creating problems for us, as we have to go for a completely new version. Maintaining and managing existing bots, then coming up with new ones takes a lot of time. We would rather have a batch fix than an installation to an installation.

It is a stable platform with a few exceptions. Overall, it's a dependable platform which we can use for RPA.

We have faced issues with the upgrade. As an organization, we can't afford to have periodic migrations. Automation Anywhere is often coming out with new releases. If it's a bug fix or a patch update, that is a good thing. However, if it is a complete switchover or an installation, that needs proper planning. Obviously, time is consumed for this.

It has a scope for increasing which is what we are targeting. We are having sessions in our organization where people are coming up with more use cases.

We have been happy with technical support. Whatever the problem, we get a response with the status. Even if the issue is not resolved, we have transparency.

It was complex to begin with because we are all so new to it. Getting the business come up with use cases was initially difficult because everybody was new to it. Over a period of time, we got to know what has to be done.

We initially use EY for the deployment. Our experience was overall good because we were new to this RPA, it was a good learning experience having a COE playbook in place. Our basic baby steps, we did those with them, which helped us grow.

We have seen ROI.

What other advice do I have?

Have your CEO set up a business user to do the automation day in and day out. If a business user is building or developing RPA, he will know the ins and outs of the process better than a coder or third-party.