Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

Code is suitable for complex cases, and it works across many platforms

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for quality and GXP.

We are a pharmaceutical company and have marketed products that are about to be shipped into the market. Part of our process is a compliance check of those products. We have specifications ready, and we have the parameters with which it has been manufactured, and we have to compare those to ensure that they match. This compliance check is what we have automated using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The operational side of our business has become more civilized since we implemented this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that the code can be made as complex as necessary because our processes are not simple.

This solution can be moved easily between platforms. We work on SAP as well as many other internal platforms, and this solution can very easily be moved between them.

What needs improvement?

There should be a meeting between the Automation Anywhere team and the end-users to understand whether the process can be made to work on the first attempt. This would save a lot of time, especially in cases where it doesn't work in the end. This introductory meeting would include what the processes are and what platforms are compatible with Automation Anywhere.

I would say the product is stable, although sometimes we have connection issues and control room issues. Some of these issues are internal. Overall, the product is fine.

We had had issues with scalability. Recently, we had a use case which we were working on, but we could not do it because Automation Anywhere could not connect to the system. It was an older system, and perhaps the newer systems are more compatible with this solution. We have seen a few companies that use downgraded systems, and that is where we see that Automation Anywhere does not work.

I would rate technical support an eight out of ten.

Usually, we have a very good response from technical support. However, we did have a case that we wanted to be resolved as soon as possible, and it took a very, very long time. Probably more than a month. They gave us a lot of solutions but nothing worked. Ultimately, it was our team who actually found a resolution for it.

I think that the initial setup of this solution is good. Because we are a pharmaceutical company, it is a lengthy process because we have a lot of GXP, compliance issues, and quality issues. That considered, it did not take a very long time for deployment.

We have just deployed and are still in the validation process, so we have not seen a return on investment yet. It will take a little more time to see ROI.

This solution costs approximately $3,500 USD per license. For a large company, this cost would not matter, although if I had a very small organization and I wanted to automate a small process then this would be a bit costly.

We looked into UiPath, but we felt that Automation Anywhere was the choice for us.

Initially, we actually wanted to use both. We looked into both but there are a lot of systems and a lot of complex steps to follow. The developers suggested that Automation Anywhere was a better processor to develop the code because when we wanted to look into the errors or when we have any issues it is easier to look into the Automation Anywhere line than UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a solution that I recommend, but there are a few things that you need to look into. We actually started with a process and ended up thinking that it would not work. You have to ensure that the proper groundwork is done in order to understand whether the process can actually work. It will be possible to find solutions in any case, but it may take a very long time. The longer it takes to automate, the longer ROI will take.

I have been using this solution for a while now, and I think that it is a very good platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.