Automic Workload Automation Review

Easy to use, efficient, enables us to see the status of all our jobs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would just be our production batch processing.

It's been great. We've had a few bumps in years past but it's been rock solid since the last couple versions.  We also perform all internal file transfers and many of our company's external file transfers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of jobs that have to run, and it's easy to see what the status is.

We've been using it for around 15 years now. We're very comfortable with it, that's probably the biggest thing. I've been using it for a long time, so the comfort level is there. I don't see any reason I would want to switch to anything else. It does everything we need. Actually, we're not even utilizing it to its fullest ability. We're probably a couple versions behind what the latest version is. And there are a lot of features we want to get to, to start utilizing, but it all takes time and does require the correct resources available.

What is most valuable?

The usability of the user interface.  It just makes sense and it is easy to see the flow of the processes.  We have been slowly migrating to the web-based user interface, which has some of the older features missing, but also introduces additional new features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, it's probably stuff they already have available that we haven't started utilizing yet.

I really like the idea of the Zero Downtime Upgrade, but really excited to be able to use the centralized agent upgrade. That's probably one of our biggest pain points right now. When we go to a new version, the agents have to all be upgraded. We have several thousand agents and that's a painful process because it's slow and time-consuming to upgrade. Now they have the ability to automate it, we're working on getting to that point.  The analytics that are available show great potential.

More than five years.

Stability has been great. My team, we call ourselves "the invisibles" because things run so well that sometimes you almost feel like you have to try to break something to actually get acknowledged.

In terms of scalability, it's been able to do everything we want and we're probably using one percent of the resources, day to day. We'll have up to 100 people logged into the system and it just runs. It still gets good response.

We've used technical support on occasion. Every once in a while you run into something that you're unsure about or not sure how to utilize it. I've been happy with the support we've received. It's definitely improved, like I said, over the years. It's been great. The response has been much quicker.

For the open system side, I don't believe we were using anything previously. Probably anything that they would have been using would have been Microsoft Task Scheduler or a Unix cron. But we were not using anything that I know of at the time. We did have CA-7 on the mainframe, which we still actually use on a limited basis, but that is being sunsetted. So we were not using anything really.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. I actually used it from an operator's standpoint. I did not start maintaining the system until about a year and a half after we brought this system in.

It was implemented prior to my time of working with the application.

I am unsure as it was before I started administering the application.

What other advice do I have?

When our company is investing in a new vendor, our top criteria are

• support
  • features
  • stability is probably the biggest.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with other automation systems, other than CA-7, which we're on a very old version of, but I really like the Automic Workload Automation due to its ease of use.

1 visitor found this review helpful