Avaya Ethernet Switches Review

A reliable solution under harsh environmental conditions

What is our primary use case?

We are using the 5520 and the 5600 models as layer 2 switches, and the 8600 as a layer 3 switch. These units are all on-premises deployments.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very reliable and works well under harsh environmental circumstances. For example, if the air conditioning turns off then the switch doesn't shut down immediately.

What needs improvement?

The CLI syntax for this solution is different from other switches such as Cisco and Juniper, and it takes us a long time to integrate a new device and get it working properly.

We would like to see support for multi-rate features including PoE+ and SSP+. We need PoE+ because we are using the wireless access points, and SSP+ as an uplink. This might add security such as anti-spoofing and packet inspection.

We would like to see a local technical support office in Egypt. This would be a credit to Avaya because many people look for vendors who have local support.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

The stability of this solution is good. I have not had any problems or issues with these switches so far, and I have been using them for ten or eleven years.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support for this solution is good. They are professional, and when we open a ticket, some cases have been resolved in a few days. Other cases have taken longer, and in this situation, I escalate the matter to a specific person that we know well and have worked with before.

We have had people from Avaya come from Dubai to Egypt to help us resolve problems.

The only problem we have is that there is no local support in Egypt, so in some cases, it takes a long time to reach an expert technical support person.

Overall, we are very satisfied with the support.

I have experience with several different routers and switches including Aruba Wireless, Cisco, Juniper, and Avaya.

In our old campus, we were using Cisco switches.

I find the initial setup of this solution to be very simple, although it takes time to get familiar with the CLI syntax.

We have a team of three people who work on these devices in the campus.

When we moved to the new campus there was a committee formed to evaluate different solutions. I am not sure what factors went into making the final decision, but Avaya was ultimately chosen over Cisco, HP, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

Avaya has been acquired by Extreme and I'm guessing that they will replace the current software with ExtremeXOS. I don't know what new features they are implementing or what modification they are going to make.

In terms of recommendations, Cisco is not my favorite vendor. I find that Juniper is more flexible, and they are stable like Avaya with no issues. Ultimately, I would recommend either Avaya or Juniper solutions.

This is a good solution, but nothing is perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.