Avolution ABACUS Review

Low cost and high capabilities make this tool a key to successful architecture planning

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for handling the enterprise architecture planning in the company. We are in banking debt processing. We are currently using it for handling the application domain architecture.

What is most valuable?

Something that is really valuable to us in using this tool is actually really very simple and generic regarding integrating application data components. Sometimes there is a component in an application that I want to use as a module or whatever as part of something else. Abacus actually provides functionality to make that very easy.

For example, if you are using something like Graph Database you can create integrations to graphically represent data from other sources. The product is structured to support integrations like this. This is the number one most valuable feature.

The second most valuable feature is the automatic detection and generation of the linking to the other applications. This is very good and simplifies using the product dramatically.

What needs improvement?

One of the usual issues that I have and would like to see improved is something I have already talked to the company about through email support. It is regarding the support of UML (Unified Modeling Language). They are supporting a very old release of UML. I think the version of UML that they are supporting is version 2.1. The specification of this UML appeared 11 years ago.

We need this update to manage parts of our modeling more efficiently. It seems Avolution does not think it is something that is of general user interest. We hoped that it was because it is important for what we do. It saves us a lot of time, actually. I hope they will take my suggestion and update it as it will make the product more useful. That is really our main issue for our situational needs.

Some people will not utilize ABACUS as an enterprise solution. But actually, we want to extend the usage of this product and include it in our design detail for our enterprise architecture. To link this solution into our architecture is our ultimate objective.

There are probably some things that Avolution could add to the product to enhance it and keep up with what some other products are introducing. For example, reverse engineering should be supported. It also does not support some of the common programming languages, like Java. I do stay aware of what other competing products are doing and I can see these features in other tools already. It would be good if they were implemented.

We have been using Abacus for one-and-a-half years.

The stability of the product is very good. We have not experienced a single problem with crashing or glitches.

Currently, we have ten licenses. Eight of them are already being utilized. So we have eight current users up and running, and we still have two licenses because we hope to expand usage to other users. But there is no scalability requirement in our set up. If we needed to scale more than the ten licenses that we have, we could just purchase more.

Even though we do not have problems with the product and the stability, we have probably used the technical support team a lot. We sometimes need them for advice on how to implement something or to answer other questions. They are actually very responsive and their responses are very clear.

We did not have a previous tool to do architectural modeling and planning. ABACUS was our first choice for this type of solution.

The deployment of the solution took one whole week. But actually we needed to spend more time with the tool so that week was not only for the deployment.

The vendor came and led some of our team in training. I remember we were already detailing with Avolution how to do customizations and metadata modeling before they even came here for the training and installation. They came to give us personalized training for two days. Their implementation visit included helping us to deploy the initial metadata model and also the customization of the tool. Considering all that we accomplished, it was really quite fast and a productive week. But all the extra things that we accomplished is why the setup took one week to complete.

The solution has been running for a year-and-a-half. It hardly requires any maintenance. We did one upgrade and that was all the maintenance that has been required. It is even very friendly in its usage of resources and storage. If we needed it, we add it. There is almost no effort required for the maintenance.

One of the reasons why we selected this solution is because it came at a very reasonable price. I can not say it was cheap, but it was reasonable. Other comparable enterprise architecture tools are very expensive or were at the time we were making the choice.

What other advice do I have?

I really recommend this product to people who are considering it. For what it does it is very good and a reasonable price.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Avolution ABACUS as an eight-out-of-ten.

More Avolution ABACUS reviews from users
...who compared it with OpenText ProVision
Learn what your peers think about Avolution ABACUS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.