AWS CloudFormation Review

Excellent initial setup, good integration capabilities and very good time to market

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for creating automated blueprints for deploying machines, infrastructure as a service, and platform as a service.

What is most valuable?

The integration of the solution is very good.

The time to market is really good, I would say. You can quickly set up a blueprint and deploy it.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

The customization is weak. Whether it is good or not depends on the customer's use case.

The solution needs to offer better support to other cloud vendors.

The solution requires Kubernetes support including container ops and staging support.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

We've never had to contact technical support. So far, there haven't been any problems.

I also use vRealize and find that it is better compared to CloudFormation. It has better features.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not complex at all.

It only takes about 15-20 minutes to set up. After that, there's a bit of blueprinting that needs to happen, however, how long that takes really depends upon the person who's building it.

In terms of maintenance, our clients have three options: they could take a managed service from us, where our engineers will go and support the system, they can have some resident engineers in their own company, or, if there are technical problems, they can contact Amazon AWS to get support.

We are system integrators. We help our clients during implementation.

I don't know what the cost of the solution is.

We also use VMware's vRealize automation. vRealize has better orchestration workflows. We have prebuilt orchestration workflows available on vRealize and can build the blueprint and basically deploy in any public or private cloud vendor, so it's a cloud-agnostic product. This is something AWS lacks.

It also is created on YAML. It's an industry standard, which can, again, be compatible with multiple platforms.

What other advice do I have?

We are a solution provider and system integrator with AWS. We are also a solution provider with VMware.

We don't personally use the solution. Instead, we deploy it for our customers. The companies we work with range from small companies to large enterprises. Our clients use the solution daily.

I'd advise other organizations to definitely have an understanding of the AWS portfolio, and the product portfolio. It's also important to first understand the manual structure because it's basically automating manual tasks. It depends upon how repetitive those tasks are, because sometimes building a blueprint might take a sufficient amount of time and if those are not very repeatable and it's done once in a week or more, then it doesn't make sense to use CloudFormation to automate that.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More AWS CloudFormation reviews from users