AWS Database Migration Service Review

Stable service but requires additional applications for full functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that I can easily automate. I don't want many resources working on setting up a new IDE and creating an application and so on. We can make use of the existing applications in the cloud and I can do a workflow management very easily.

What is most valuable?

In selected or traditional databases on-premise, the backup and maintenance are very difficult. If you are maintaining a complete platform, like a Linux platform, you will need to apply some regular DB patches, so things are very difficult here. But in AWS RDS, there are many databases available for which the maintenance will be taken care of by the AWS team and different scalable databases also available. For example, currently we are using other database subscriptions which are very useful for my applications. Earlier we had Oracle Streams but we migrated to Aurora.

The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application. For example, day to day, there are developers trying to run SQL scripts which will cause problems in the database. So instead of troubleshooting, I can simply roll back to the existing set so that they can work easily. The support that I get for my project and the deadline to release one new feature will usually take three to four months on on-premise. Now, since I have migrated to AWS, I can finish it in one or two months.

What needs improvement?

There is something where AWS Database Migration can be improved. Many of the application teams don't want to invest on a migration. They don't want to use the Database Migration service. They want us to export to the dump point, database backup, and then put it into the RDS. There is not a cast and mold on it except in the database and that's it. So migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge, and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, currently we are using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to AWS cloud. I need a few more services which would be really helpful for me to move the master data.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for almost four years to move applications from on-premise to AWS cloud.

It is stable in terms of the data.

It is scalable. Nothing that we execute needs to be touched in the database. They simply do the code only. So whatever changes we do in the database will be tracked.

If you raise an AWS support issue you will get an immediate response from them so I can resolve my issue as early as possible. That is a good thing. That is why I am likely to take the support from AWS and enable the service very quickly. They have good experts who are available. That has been my experience.  Let's take an example from IBM technical support. I raised a case related to the IBM One Sheet. I'm following up now for one week and they are not responding properly.

What other advice do I have?

I have not explored other solutions like GCP or Azure, but I have used the AWS side. On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration a seven.

This score is because of a few difficulties I faced when setting it up. Because I worked on different applications on a couple of projects, I cannot completely make use of the AWS database. Maybe that is a developer mistake or something. That's the reason I am rating it a seven for now.

Hybrid Cloud
More AWS Database Migration Service reviews from users
...who compared it with HVR Software
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: December 2020.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.