AWS Database Migration Service Review

A database migration service that's highly user-friendly, but needs more migration tools

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS Database Migration Service to migrate Oracle databases and PostgreSQL databases. I work with both databases and work with different migration scenarios.

What is most valuable?

The tools are very user-friendly. You can have instances or replications instances from the databases with two or more clicks. The console is also very user-friendly, and it's very easy to create new instances for migration purposes.

What needs improvement?

I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics. We need more migration tools or more specific tools for migration and licenses. It's a very complicated scenario because, in some cases, we need specific licenses to create new instances, and some instances are very expensive. That's a very manual scenario.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for about one and a half years.

AWS Database Migration Service is a stable solution. It's good for me.

I'm very impressed with its scalability.

AWS has very good support for this, and that's why my customers choose AWS for deploying their resources in the cloud.

In the beginning, the initial setup was very hard, but then it became very easy. The information that the customer gives us isn't complete, and this is the most complex part of the process. Then we use some tools because we need to consider the indexes, tables, and other things in our databases.

Pricing can be improved. In some cases, the price of the instances are very expensive.

Our clients evaluated other options like Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud, and Huawei Cloud. I think AWS Database Migration Services is a very robust solution compared to other cloud providers.

What other advice do I have?

AWS is the leading provider of cloud services. It has extensive experience in this kind of scenario. The other cloud providers need to improve their tools and their licensing procedures. In this case, the licensing procedures are very complex for migration scenarios.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration Service a seven.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Latest Version
More AWS Database Migration Service reviews from users
...who compared it with HVR Software
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.