AWS Firewall Manager Review

Intuitive, easy to set up and use

What is our primary use case?

We are currently developing a UI and a set of tools for users to be able to easily configure their AWS firewall. The AWS Firewall Manager is one of the solutions that were are working with for this.

For industries such as banking and finance, there are regulatory requirements and compliance policies that companies have to pass. For example, if it is an application that requires the transfer of money then specific compliance would be in place. The AWS Firewall Manager makes it easy to configure and select the type of security required for the industry.

What is most valuable?

The interface is intuitive and it is easy for the users.

What needs improvement?

In AWS, there are so many features that many users get confused about what to use and what not to use. For example, AWS Firewall Manager has perhaps 100 features but only a maximum of 15 to 20 would be generally used. I would say that 80% of the features confuse the users, which makes the system more complicated than it needs to be.

The price of this solution could be reduced.

The system should be more customizable.

The AWS Cloud automatically takes care of scalability. It is a managed service and it is not hard to scale.

Although we have been in contact with technical support, I have not personally been involved in the interaction.

In AWS, I have used multiple firewalls and they are all quite easy to use.

As a service from AWS, it is easy to set up and use.

Being an AWS Cloud partner, we have a good number of consultants in our company who are familiar with implementation, deployment, and maintenance.

The AWS Firewall Manager is a little on the costly side.

All of the cloud providers are coming up with their own service but the main challenge for these types of products is open-source solutions. These are installed on one particular cloud, only. For example, if we're talking about AWS then the main challenge would not be from Azure, but rather, from open-source firewalls that people install.

While this solution is easy to use, it is a little bit on the costly side. This means that people will look to open-source solutions in the future.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to do a cost-benefit analysis of using AWS Firewalls versus using an open-source solution.

That said, I do recommend that people use this product. Obviously, it depends on the requirements so I can not simply recommend it to somebody without knowing a little bit more about their environment, but in some cases, I would recommend it immediately.

From a technical perspective, it is a good product. From a customizability perspective, there is room for improvement.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)