AWS Glue Review

It comes with its own data catalog and supports triggers for scheduling the ETL process

What is our primary use case?

We are collecting some TV audience data and analyzing it.

What is most valuable?

Data catalog and triggers are the two best features for me.

AWS Glue has its own data catalog, which makes it great and really easy to use. Triggers are also really good for scheduling the ETL process.

What needs improvement?

The start-up time is really high right now. For instance, when you start up a new job, you have to wait for five or eight minutes before it starts. If the start-up time is reduced to one or two minutes, it will be great.

It will be better to have a direct linkage to Redshift in AWS. If we can use data catalogs from Redshift, it will be so easy to create some data catalogs. Currently, we can only use data catalogs from S3.

We have been using the AWS Glue for approximately one and a half years.

There is no problem related to stability.

Scalability is good. I can reduce or increase the number of DPUs, which I find very useful.

We are trying to increase the usage of AWS Glue because of customer needs. When the data increases, our application needs some more analyzers and user interfaces. We will increase our data analyzer and user interfaces.

I didn't take any technical support because I didn't have a big problem or issue. I just used some information from various communities and forums about the maintenance.

The pricing is a bit higher than other solutions like Athena and EC2. If the pricing becomes more scaled or flexible, it will be good because you have to pay 44 cents just for one DPU for an hour. If you increase DPUs to 5 or 10, the pricing gets multiplied.

There are also some time limits like 0 to 10 minutes or 10 to 20 minutes. If the pricing is according to the minutes, it would be better because you have to limit your job to 10 minutes or 20 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend AWS Glue. It is a great choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More AWS Glue reviews from users
...who compared it with Talend Cloud Integration
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Matillion, Informatica and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.