AWS Snowball Review

A great solution with a simple interface that's stable, reliable and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I primarily have used the solution to move data. If we have a huge amount of data and we need to move it, we request a Snowball, a box from Amazon. It's shipped to the customer location and we connect it to the environment.

What is most valuable?

The way the data is moved is very clever. Also, the interface is very simple and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if Snowball provided more kinds of connectivity. That will make it easier to add and move data.

If AWS or Amazon invested in a software solution that could replace Snowball, it would be a good idea. If AWS invests in and provides for a very powerful storage gateway that can connect to the customer's storage and start making the data transfer, I think it would be better.

I've used the solution three or four times.

The stability is good; I haven't faced any issues so far.

I don't see any way to add more scalability to the product.

I've never had to contact technical support for Snowball directly, but I have for other AWS products and they've always been great.

We didn't previously use a different product. In the past, we'd try to move a smaller amount of data using either command lines or the web databases.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It only requires one or two steps. The time it takes to deploy depends on the customer data, but at maximum, it should take a week. You only need one or two people to deploy the solution.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

You may need to pay customs fees or taxes on the Snowball shipment, but beyond the cost of the solution, that's it.

We did look at other solutions, but we chose Snowball because it's reliable and easy to use and gave us more style and less work.

What other advice do I have?

I was working with the public cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. If you have a large amount of data, it's a perfect way to move it to the cloud.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.