AWS Snowball Review

Transfers data easily into and out of the cloud for all size clients

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Snowball is ETL data extract. Transform and load. That's what we're using Snowball for at the moment. So basically adding an analytical layer on top of the current data warehouses for some of our customers.

What is most valuable?

From our point of view, one of the most important features are the ability to combine, to mesh data together. Also, the ability to have them compute out of AWS rather than buying our own infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

It does have room for improvement. The ability to better ingest some of the big data.

Also, improvement with prepackaging of the tool, rather than trying to use the developer set. Meaning to prepackage the solution better for different industries. Today, you don't get to prepackage, you have to build a lot of this from scratch.

I have a list of 40 items on my desk, which I shared with AWS to hopefully help them in their road map on the next program.

I have been using AWS for about three years now and Snowball for the last six, seven months.

I find it extremely stable compared to the rest. I think maybe because of the infrastructure AWS provides.

With AWS you can scale, you have elastic scalability.

In our company we are 100-150 users. Not all technicians, some are end users. Some are technicians, some are services for providing solutions to customers down the line.

Our experience with technical support is very good. Very, very good. There's been a lot of technical support. We are an APN partner here.

We just got into data migration recently, so we just began with AWS out and out. We find it easy to use.

The setup is really easy. For me it's easy but I don't know about for the rest

Last week we deployed it in three days maximum from start to finish for one build. One dashboard literally.

In terms of advice for future users, plan to assess your data correctly and make sure that the AWS architecture is built correctly.

What other advice do I have?

We are part of the AWS Partner network.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More AWS Snowball reviews from users